Frequently Asked Questions - All FAQs

Please select your question category

Search FAQs
View all frequently asked questions

You can be admitted in a hospital by referral from the GP, a specialist in outpatient care, after being referred by emergency care, or after entering the emergency room of the hospital.

Yes. You can exercise your right to choose to be treated in any hospital on the territory of the country.

They can not refuse hospital treatment, but if you are not health insured, you have to pay for the treatment

Yes, but you will probably have to pay for it. The Regulation sets a maximum payment for the choice of a doctor - BGN 500 and for the selection of a team - BGN 900

Yes. In the amounts and under the conditions determined by a Decree of the Council of Ministers. For the year 2018 a fee of BGN 10.20 is paid for each day of stay but for no more than 10 days in one calendar year.

Yes, under terms and conditions set out in the Internal Regulations

The Health Act entitles you to an informed consent. The treating physician is required to inform you of the nature of the illness, of the possible treatments, of the possible risks from it. For all treatment, you must express your consent in writing.

Treatment without the consent of the patient can be performed only in strictly defined by the Law of Health cases of involuntary treatment

You can leave the hospital at will at any time of stay by signing a document for this except in cases of forced treatment as defined by  law.

The right to escort has minor patients up to 3 years of age and those who can not take care of themselves. In other cases, they may ask you an additional payment.

When you leave the hospital, you need to get an epicrisis. You also have the right to receive all the results of imaging studies as well as prescription medication for further treatment.

Yes, against payment for making the photocopy

The assessment of the time of discharge of the patient is done by the treating physician and the head of the ward (clinic)

There are no restrictions on the number of hospitalizations. The NHIF does not pay for treatment of the same diagnosis twice in a month.

If the hospital has a contract with the NHIF you should not pay anything more than your treatment at a state or municipal hospital.

The NFA does not restrict the stay on the Clinical pathway. A minimum stay is required that is different for the different Clinical Pathways. It is assumed that the patient should stay until improvement is achieved and can be prescribed for home treatment, rehabilitation, palliative care or other.

The resuscitation unit is generally for short-term residence of patients in severe condition with a life-threatening condition whose treatment requires intensive care. Resuscitation is not an alternative to home treatment, nor is it a place for palliative care. There is no maximum term - stay depends on the condition of the patient and the doctor's judgment.

If it is impossible to provide the necessary volume of activities, if the condition of the patient allows, he or she is accommodated in the nearest medical establishment, which has the necessary conditions for doing so. The sending hospital provides appropriate transportation and patient-escort medical specialists depending on their condition and needs.

Temporary physical restraint measures may be applied only at the discretion of a physician in patients with established mental disorders that are present in a state of direct and imminent danger to their own health or life or to the health and life of others. The limitation applies for not more than 6 hours.

You can contact the Regional Health Insurance Fund, where you can get a list of general practitioners who have colcluded a contract with them.

The referrals for consultation are limited by the Regulatory Standards set by the NHIF. For every quarter, general practitioners receive a certain limit depending on the number of persons enrolled with them. There is a complex mechanism for the regulation of the issued referrals. Generally, if they are exceeded, the general practitioner will be sanctioned for this. Therefore, even if you are formally entitled to a referral, you may not be able to receive it when you need it, due to the exhausted limit of the general practitioner. The specialist in outpatient care may also issue referrals for consultation and tests but they area also with a limited number.

Yes. The general practitioner is required to provide 24 hour emergency assistance to patients enrolled with him/her. In this case, emergency assistance may be taken by other doctors who have signed a contract with your GP for a certain part of the day. Information about this can be obtained from the GP or the Regional Health Insurance Fund.

Yes. Hours for home visits are included in the GP's schedule. This happens when your condition does not allow you to visit the doctor's office.

You can consult with a specialist and without a referral, but in this case you have to pay for the consultation yourself, at prices determined by the specialist doctor himself.

For some chronic illnesses, you may be dispensary with a specialist. This gives you the right to several visits a year to the specialist without the need for a referral from the general practitioner.

Yes. In the consultation referral you receive, there is no name of a doctor to go to for an examinatio. The patient's right is to choose a specialist doctor to consult with. The referral is valid for one month and for the territory of the whole country.

You can contact any dental practitioner (dentist) who has entered into a contract with RHIF. In the office of your dental practitioner you should have a pricelist with the prices of the services offered and the amount of additional payment by the patient depending on the type of service. You must have your health insurance booklet in order to use the services paid by the NHIF.

Yes. Children with mental illness and children deprived of parental care do not pay for dental treatment. The other children are entitled to a free obturation with amalgam or chemical composite and one extraction of dairy and permanent tooth per year.

No. Medicines fully or partially paid by NHIF can only be prescribed by doctors who have contracted with the NHIF to perform outpatient medical care.

In all cases of poor health, which prevents you from going alone to seek medical attention. We recommend that you contact your GP, who knows your condition and the possible risks, before calling for emergency care.

Emergency can not be denied regardless of your health insurance status.

Emergency aid is funded by the state budget and is completely free of charge for those who have requested it.

Yes. No referral or any document is required for emergency assistance.

It depends on your location. Under the Emergency Medical Center's operating regulations, the call will be handed over to the nearest team within one minute of your call, and the ambulance should be with you within 8 minutes.

No. You will be transported to the nearest hospital where you shall receive hospital care for your illness.

When granting the authorization for use for each medicinal product, it is determined whether it is available only on prescription or can be granted without prescription. The Ministry of Health issued a bulletin with the marginal prices of all medicines available without prescription.

A prescription booklet is purchased from a bookstore for medical records. The prescription booklet is used only by patients with diseases defined by a list of NHIF. The prescription booklet is filled in by the general practitioner and is certified by the respective RHIF.

According to the National Framework Contract, the prescription of medicines is done after a patient's examination. Therefore, a prescription visit is defined as an ambulatory examination and a patient's charge is payable, except in the case of persons exempt from such charge.

Yes. On a list of medicines specified by the NHIF. In addition to the list of medicines, there are also free treatment programs for certain groups of diseases for which a special prescription order is provided.

When granting the marketing authorization for each medicinal product, it is determined whether it is available only on prescription or can be granted without prescription. The Ministry of Health issues a bulletin with the marginal prices of all prescription medicines. Information can be obtained from the websites of the BDA and the NCPR

Decisions on permanent disability shall be issued for a period of one to three years. For people who have reached retirement age, TEMC's decisions can be issued for life

Where the expert decision entitles you to a pension for disability due to sickness or social disability pension.

Any doctor from hospital and outpatient care, as well as medical advisory committees

Emergency physicians may issue a medical leave note for a period of three days.

The treating physician (dental practitioner) may issue a single medical leave note for up to 14 days without interruption and for up to 40 days with interruption within one calendar year.

For treatment in a hospital, the attending physician issues a single medical leave note for the duration of the treatment and the term of the home leave, the latter being no longer than 30 days.

The Medical Advisory Board may issue a medical leave note for up to 6 months without interruption.

When the medical leave note lasts for more than 6 months without interruption or for more than 12 months in two consecutive years with interruption, the medical leave note is issued after a supervisory review by TEMC.

Permanent disability decisions are issued for life in two cases:

  1. In the case of persons who have acquired the right to a retirement pension under Art. 68 CSR, determines the lifetime of the invalidity. These persons may be certified at their request or at the request of the control bodies of the medical expertise.
  2. In definitive states without the possibility of full or partial recovery

The amount of the health contribution is determined annually by the budget law of the National Health Insurance Fund. For 2018, the rate is 8% of the insurance income. In this case, not only income under employment relationships, but also all income under the tax return of the insured person.

The health insurance contributions are paid to the respective territorial subdivision of the National Revenue Agency. Contributions shall be paid by the 10th of the month following the month to which they relate. Contributions are paid by bank transfer or by postal order

You can check your health insurance status on the NRA's website by entering your single citizenship number.

Payment of the health insurance for persons under employment relationship is divided between the employer and the employee in ratio of 60:40

All children up to the age of 18 or until their secondary education are insured at the expense of the state budget. Also tt the expense of the state budget, students are insured if in full-time education until the age of 26.

All pensioners, regardless of the reason for retirement, are insured at the expense of the state budget.

Yes. You must pay 8% of the extra income you receive in the above-mentioned employer-employee ratio.

You will be insured at the expense of the Unemployment Fund only for the time for which you receive unemployment benefit. In all other cases, registration at the employment office does not exempt you from the obligation to pay health insurance

The minimum monthly amount of insured income for persons registered as agricultural producers or as tobacco producers is determined annually by the Law on the budget of the state public insurance. Contributions due are calculated as 8% on the relevant minimum insurable income

The minimum social security income for employees who work under part-time terms is determined in proportion to the statutory working hours or the full number of working days during the month.

The minimum social security income for the employees who work in specialized enterprises, the labor-treatment bases and the cooperatives of people with disabilities according to the Law on the Integration of People with Disabilities is set at 50 per cent of the minimum income for the respective economic activity and qualification group of the profession.

Persons subject to social assistance and those receiving energy aid are insured at the expense of the state budget.

You are not subject to compulsory insurance for temporary stay in the country. All persons who have been granted a permanent residence permit are subject to mandatory health insurance.

The lack of income is certified by a survey from the relevant municipal social assistance service. If the survey finds that you are eligible for social assistance or heating allowances, your social security contributions will be paid to the state budget.

You can insure members of your family. For this purpose, you must complete a Declaration in a form approved by the NRA and the National Health Insurance Fund

After 31.12.2005, if you are a Bulgarian citizen and live and work abroad you are exempted from the obligation to pay health insurance. For this purpose, you must submit a declaration annually to the NRA for the period you will be absent from the country (if it is longer than 183 days in a calendar year). A template of the declaration can be found on the NRA website.

If you are a full-time student, your health insurance is at the expense of the state budget until the age of 26. To certify this, you must provide a legalized translation of the relevant certificate for each semester to the NRA's territorial unit at your permanent address.

The health insurance booklet is obtained from RHIF. Originally issued, it is free.If you lose your health insurance booklet or it is fully filled, you must submit a formal application to the Director of the Regional Health Insurance Fund where you will receive a new one for a fee. The health booklet is then endorsed by the General Practitioner.

When you have three or more unpaid health contributions in the last five years

Persons with discontinued health insurance rights pay the medical assistance at prices determined by the medical establishment.

Yes, if an examination is registered on this date

A patients fee is not paid by: minors, non-working family members registered with the Labor Office; soldiers of conscript military service; injured in or on the occasion of the defense of the country, veterans of the wars, war invalids; detained in custody persons detained on the grounds of Art. 63 of the Law on the Ministry of Interior or imprisoned; socially disadvantaged, receiving benefits under the Regulations on the Application of the Social Assistance Act; persons without income placed in homes for children and adolescents, in pre-school children's homes and in social care homes; persons with chronic diseases listed in Annex 14 of the NFC; medical specialists; patients with malignancies; persons with a high degree of permanently reduced working capacity; pregnant and breast-feeding until 45 days after delivery

You can file a complaint to:

Regional Health Inspection on all issues related to your treatment,

The Regional Health Insurance Fund on all issues related to the treatment but only if you have been treated as a health insured person and the treatment is paid by the NHIF

The Regional Ethics Committee of the Bulgarian Medical Association on issues related to the ethical relationship between the doctor and the patient

Executive Agency "Medical Audit" on issues of quality and access to treatment

Онконавигатор - всичко за болните с онкологични заболявания

Health news

P&HSee the latest health news and objective comments and analyzes of events without prejudices. Read more ...

External quality control

nsvokCPRH coordinates the National System for External Quality Assessment of Clinical Laboratories. Look more ...